Students can Download Social Science Geography Chapter 23 North America – Land of Prairies Questions and Answers, Notes Pdf, KSEEB Solutions for Class 7 Social Science helps you to revise the complete Karnataka State Board Syllabus and score more marks in your examinations.
Karnataka State Syllabus Class 7 Social Science History Chapter 23 North America – Land of Prairies
Class 7 Social Science North America – Land of Prairies Textbook Questions and Answers
I. Answer the following:
North America Land Of Prairies Question 1.
Why is North America called ‘Land of Prairies’?
- The central plains of North America are also known as the great plains or the prairies.
- The plain consists of vast expanse, almost 3/5 of the total area of North America of flat to gently rolling land.
- These plains are formed by the River Mississippi, Missouri and their tributaries.
- This is one of the most fertile plains of the world and is a good farming region.
KSEEB Solutions For Class 7 Social Science Question 2.
Mention the location and extent of North America
North America is located entirely to the north of the equator. It lies within 7° N to 84° N latitudes. The topic of cancer passes through the continent in the south and the article circle in North America is surrounded by the Atlantic ocean in the east the Pacific Ocean in the west and the Arctic ocean in the north.
It is separated from the continent of Asia by the herring strait. It has land links with South America by the Isthmus of Panama: North America occupied 16.4% of the world area. It is the third-largest continent in the world. It is almost seven times bigger than India.
North America Land Of Prairies Lesson Question Answer Question 3.
Make a list of important countries of North America.
There are 24 countries in North America, Canada, Greenland Mexico, the United States of America, Guatemala, West Indies, the Bahamas, Saint Lucia, and other countries.
Class 7 Social Science North America – Land Of Prairies Karnataka State Board Solutions Question 4.
How is the Grand Canyon of North America formed?
The Colorado River drains into the Colorado plateau and forms the Grand Canyon. It is a centre for scenic beauty and tourism. The grand canyon is called ‘Natural wonder of the world’.
North America Land Of Prairies Question Answer Question 5.
Name the important plants of animals of North America.
North America has a wide variety of natural vegetation and wildlife.
1. The Tundra
- Mosses and Lichens are found here. Some stunted flowering plants grow in summer.
- Animals like Arctic fox, reindeer, caribou, polar bears, etc., are found here. Whales, seals, and fish ate found along with the coastal areas.
2. The Taiga or the coniferous belt
- The trees found here are pine, fir, spruce, lurch, cedar etc.,
- Animals like the lynx, sable, silver, fox, beaver, black and grizzly bears are found hare.
3. Deciduous type
- The trees found here are cypress, oak, ash, maple and chestnut. Mahogany and logwood are also found here
- Animals like beaver, black bear, bear, muskrat and porcupines are found here.
4. Coal temperate climate
- They are vast plains with rich grass. Only a few trees grow on the hilltops.
- Bison and prairie dogs are the important animals found here.
5. Mediterranean type
- The trees found here are olives, oak, cork, walnut, figs etc., Citrus trees like lemon, orange etc., are also found here.
- Not much wildlife is found here.
6. The Desert Type
- Cactus and thorny bushes are common here.
- Animals like the desert fox, lizards, rattle snakes and various kinds of insects are found here.
KSEEB Solutions For Class 7th Social Science Question 6.
Make a list of important rivers in North America.
The Mississippi and Missouri are the great rivers of North America. The other rivers are Ohio, Tennessee Arkansas, Rio Grande, Yukon, Red, Colorado, Columbia, Peace, Snake and St. Lawrence, etc.,
7th Standard Social Science Notes Question 7.
Who is called ‘Lumber Jacks’ in North America?
Wood pulp, paper, and newsprint are produced in the USA and Canada. The profession which is related to forest activities like cutting of trees, preparing pulp, etc. is called Lumbering. Lumbering is a highly organised job in North America people engaged in lumbering in Canada are known as lumberjacks.
Mention the important races and their languages formed in North America. Most of the North Americans are descendants of Europeans, American Indians, and Africans although there are some native or indigenous people, most of them speak Spanish, English, French, or American Indian languages.
KSEEB Solutions For Class 7 Social Question 8.
Mention the important races and their languages formed in North America. .
- Most of the North Americans are descendants of Europeans or American Indians and Africans. There are also some native or indigenous people.
- Most of them speak Spanish, English, French or American Indian Languages.
Class 7 Social Science North America – Land of Prairies Additional Questions and Answers
I. Fill in the blanks:
- The French built up profitable _______ trade in Canada.
- The _______ is the most important ranges in the western Cordilleras.
- The Canadian shield lies around the _______ bay in the northern part of North America.
- The Eastern highlands are also known as _______.
- _______ is famous for plastic industry.
- _______ is a country Of lakes.
II. Match the following:
|1. Lake Superior||a. Pine, fir|
|2. Lake Winnipeg||b. Mosses and lichens|
|3. Tundra||c. Oak, Chestnut|
|4. Taiga||d. largest fresh water lake|
|5. Deciduous||e. Joshu tree|
|6. Desert||f. important waterway of Canada|
III. Answer the following questions in a sentence each:
KSEEB Solutions For Class 7 Question 1.
Which is the largest island in the Arctic Ocean?
Green land is the largest island in the Arctic Ocean.
North America – Land Of Prairies Lesson Pdf Question 2.
Which is the highest peak in the Rockies?
Mt. Mckinley (6194 m) is the highest peak in the Rockies.
KSEEB Solutions 7th Standard Social Science Question 3.
Name any two intermountain plateaus found in North America.
Plateau of Colorado, Plateau of Columbia, and Mexican Plateau.
KSEEB Solutions Class 7 Social Science Question 4.
Which is the world-famous geyser found in the yellow stone national park of the USA?
The Old Faithful Geyser.
KSEEB Solutions For Class 7 Social Science Chapter 23 Question 5.
Name the local wind which causes damage to American and Canadian Prairies.
The dust bowl or the dirty thirties is a local dust storm which causes loss of crops.
KSEEB 7th Social Science Solution Question 6.
Name the two east flowing rivers of North America.
River Frazer and River Columbia are the east-flowing rivers of North America.
North America Land Of Prairies Class 7 Question 7.
What is called the ‘natural wonder of the World’?
The Grand Canyon is called the ‘natural wonder of the World’
KSEEB Solutions For 7th Class Social Science Question 8.
Name the important lakes of the Canadian Shield.
Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie, and Superior are the important lakes.
KSEEB Social Solutions For Class 7 Question 9.
Name two important cash crops in North America.
Cotton and tobacco are the two important cash crops in North America.
7th Standard Social Notes Question 10.
Name two plantation crops grown in Central America and the West Indies.
Coffee and Cocoa.
KSEEB Solutions Social Science Class 7 Question 11.
Where is gold mined in North America?
California and Yukon valleys are important areas of gold mines.
KSEEB Solutions For 7th Social Science Question 12.
Why does North America have a wide range of climate?
North America has a wide range of climate due to its vast latitudinal extent and varied relief features.
IV. Answer the following in two or more sentences:
7th Social Science Notes Question 1.
Which are the factors that have made North America one of the most developed regions of the World?
Rich natural resources, development of science and technology, a large domestic market, international trade relationship, development of good means of transport, etc., have helped North America to become one of the most developed regions of the world.
KSEEB 7 Social Science Question 2.
What are the four major physical divisions of North America?
- Western Cordilleras or the Rocky mountains.
- The Great Central Plains or Central lowlands.
- The Eastern Highlands or the Appalachian Mountains.
- The Canadian or Laurentian Shield.
7th Standard Social Science Textbook Karnataka Question 3.
Name some popular fishing grounds of North America.
Shallow continental shelves, such as the Grand Banks, Georges Banks off New England, and New Foundland Coast are popular fishing grounds.
7th Std Social Science Textbook Karnataka Question 4.
Why are the USA and Canada highly industrialized?
The availability of raw materials like iron ore, coal, copper, bauxite helps heavy industries. The availability of power, transport, and modem technology has helped industrialization to a great extent.
KSEEB Solutions For Class 7th Social Question 5.
Why do Mexico and other countries in Central America lag behind in industrial development?
They lag behind in industrial development because most of these countries are small and do not have adequate power resources and raw materials needed for industrial development.
V. Multiple Choice Questions:
1. _______ is known as the sugar bowl of the World.
2. _______ is called the ‘wine country’.
b) New Jersey
3. The _______ is the leading producer of nuclear power in the world.
4. The city of _______ is called the steel city due to its rich coal deposits
d) St. Louis
5. Mexico is the world’s major producer of _______.