Students can Download Social Science Geography Chapter 24 South America – Land of Andes Questions and Answers, Notes Pdf, KSEEB Solutions for Class 7 Social Science helps you to revise the complete Karnataka State Board Syllabus and score more marks in your examinations.
Karnataka State Syllabus Class 7 Social Science History Chapter 24 South America – Land of Andes
Class 7 Social Science South America – Land of Andes Textbook Questions and Answers
I. Answer the following:
South America Land Of Andes Question 1.
Why are natives of the South American continent called Red-Indians?
When Christopher Columbus reached the continent. He mistook it for India, called brown coloured natives of that land as the red Indians and that had given the name West Indies.
South America Land Of Andes Question Answer Question 2.
Explain the location and extent of South America.
The continent lies mainly in the southern hemisphere a small portion is found in the northern hemisphere the equator and the tropic of Capricorn pass through the continent. Its latitude and longitudinal extent is 12° N to 56° S latitudes and 35° W to 81° W longitudes. It is located in the Western hemisphere.
The continent is surrounded by water bodies on all sides except in north Panama separates South America and North America, the Atlantic ocean in the east and northeast, the Pacific Ocean lies in the west and the south is bordered by the icy waters of America. South America is three and a half times bigger than India. These are thirteen countries on the continent.
KSEEB Solutions For Class 7 Question 3.
Name the big and small countries of South America.
Countries of South America in order of size
- French Guiana (French territory).
South America Land Of Andes Class 7 Question 4.
Which is the largest waterfall of the World found in South America? On which river it is formed?
Angel Falls is the world’s highest waterfall. It is formed on river Churn a tributary of Orinoco, in the Guyana shield.
KSEEB Solutions For Class 7 Social Science Question 5.
Mention the important grasslands of South America.
South America is the land of grasslands. Major grasslands of the continent are:
- Llanos in the Orinoco river basin.
- Compass in the Brazilian highlands
- Pampas of Argentina temperate grasslands
7th Standard Social Science Notes Question 6.
Name the important plants and wild animals of South America.
1. Equatorial Region
- Selvas are the largest rain forests in the world. The important trees are mahogany, ebony, logwood, and rubber,
- Anaconda is one of the world’s largest snakes. Armadillo is a giant anteater found here, Piranha, is a flesh-bating fish. Crocodiles, Snakes, Birds, Monkeys (spider monkey, owl monkey, and squirrel monkey), and thousands of insects are found here.
2. Tropical Grasslands
- Tall coarse grass of varying heights with scattered trees. They are known as Llanos in Venezuela and Campos in Brazil.
- Armadillos and numerous insects are found here
3. Tropical Deciduous Forests
- The Pirana pine and Sisal plants are grown here.
- Tapir(piglike animal) and Peccary, a kind of wild pig are found here.
4. The Tropical Desert
- Shrubs, prickly pear, and cactus are found here.
- Geckos and Iguana lizards live here.
5. The Mediterranean Region
- Evergreen laurel and Acacia are found here. Fruit trees grow well here. Thorny shrubs and cactus are grown in the driver regions.
6. Temperate Grasslands
- Less coarse and short grass is found here.
- Puma and Jaguar are larger animals of prey. The other animals are monkeys, Pampas deer, Guanaco and Mara
7. The Temperate Desert
- The vegetarian consists of sparse vegetation, coarse grass and scrub.
- Rodents are found here.
8. Mountain climates (Andes)
- Lower easter slopes – tropical forests.
- Western slopes – less dense forests.
- Southern half – deciduous forests to coniferous forests.
- Tree-line-above which only mosses and lichens grow.
- The Wamas and Alpacas, similar to camels are domesticated and used as beasts of burden. The condor is the biggest bird of prey. Rhea is a flightless bird. Some of the other animals are puma, mountain tapir, dwarf deer and chinchillas.
KSEEB Solutions For Class 7th Social Science Question 7.
Mention the important racial groups found in South America.
The inhabitants of South America belong to mixed racial groups. Europeans settled here in search of gold and other natural resources. Slaves were brought from Africa to work in plantations. The natives are Red Indians. Intermarriage among these groups formed mixed races.
KSEEB Solutions For Class 7 Social Science South America Question 8.
Name the important cities with a high density of population in South America?
Most of the population of South America is concentrated in big cities and ports like Buenos Aires, Rio-de-Janeiro, Valparaiso, Sao Paulo, etc., Density of population is mainly found in the coastal belt.
Class 7 Social Science South America – Land of Andes Additional Questions and Answers
I. Match the following:
|1. Brazil||a. coffee port of the world|
|2. Venezuela||b. Olympic meet-2016|
|3. Rio-de-Janerio||c. cowboys, who manage the sheep|
|4. Gauchos||d. lowest urban population|
|5. Guyana||e. Modeling and Fashioning|
II. Fill in the blanks:
- Argentina and Brazil are famous for _______.
- _______ is the longest mountain chain in the world running to a distance of 6440 Km along the Pacific coast.
- _______ (6960 m) in the Argentina – Chile border is the highest mountain peak.
- _______ falls in South America is the world’s highest waterfall.
- _______ desert is the driest area on the earth.
- Mt. Aconcagua
III. Answer the following in a sentence each:
7th Standard Social Science Notes In Kannada Question 1.
Name the largest and the smallest country of South America?
Brazil is the largest and French Guyana is the smallest country in South America.
KSEEB Solutions For Class 7 Social Question 2.
Which is the major ocean route between North America and South America?
The Panama Canal is the major ocean route between North America and South America.
KSEEB Solutions For Class 7 Kannada Question 3.
Name the two highlands that comprise the Eastern Highlands.
The Eastern Highlands comprises of
- Guinea highlands
- Brazilian highlands
KSEEB Solutions For 7th Question 4.
Name any two islands in the Southern part of South America.
Falkland, Galapagos, Hornos Islands etc.,
7th Std Social Science Textbook Karnataka Question 5.
Why does the Amazon basin experience hot, wet equatorial climate?
Amazon basin experiences a hot-wet equatorial climate due to the presence of the equator.
7th Standard Social Science Question Answer Question 6.
Which bird is the biggest bird of prey and which bird cannot fly in South America?
The candor is the biggest bird of prey and Andean Condor bird which cannot fly.
KSEEB 7th Social Science Solution Question 7.
Which is the largest reptile that lives in the rain forest of South America?
Anaconda is the largest reptile that lives in the rain forest.
7th Standard Social Notes Question 8.
Where are the giant tortoise found in South America?
The giant tortoise is found in the Galapagos Islands.
7th Standard Social Science Notes Pdf Question 9.
Which animals look similar to the camels?
The Llamas and Alpacas are animals similar to camels as they have long necks.
7th Standard Social Science Notes In English Question 10.
Which country is the world’s largest producer of coffee?
Brazil is the world’s largest producer of coffee.
IV. Answer the following in two or three sentences each:
Social 7th Standard Question 1.
What are the major physical divisions of South America?
The major physical divisions of South America are
- The Andes mountains
- The Eastern highlands
- The Central lowlands
- The Western Coastal plains
Karnataka 7th Standard Social Science Notes Question 2.
Which regions in South America have a Mediterranean type of climate and why?
North and Central Chile coastal regions have warm summers and mild winters with rainfall in winter. Therefore this region has a Mediterranean type of climate.
Social Notes 7th Standard Question 3.
Describe the tropical rain forest of the Amazon.
- It is the world’s largest rain forest locally called Selvas.
- Evergreen trees of hardwood with a dense canopy of trees are found here.
- Mahogany and Ebony are valuable trees.
- The rubber tree found here is used to make latex.
Name the important crops of South America.
The most important crops of South America are maize, wheat, rice, coffee, cotton, sugarcane etc.,
Which are the major cocoa-producing regions in South America?
- Cocoa is produced on a large scale in the coastal regions of Brazil.
- Columbia and Ecuador are the other producers of Cocoa.
Describe the river system of South America.
- The Amazon river rises in the Andes and is the longest river in South America and the largest in the world. It is navigable to a great extent along its course.
- Orinoco is another important river system.
- The combined river system of Parana, Paraguay, and Uruguay is called La Plata.
V. Multiple Choice Questions:
1. All countries of South America have coastal line except _______.
a) Guyana, Uruguay
b) Bolivia, Paraguay
c) Brazil, Argentina
d) Peru, Columbia
b) Bolivia, Paraguay
2. Lake _______ is the highest lake in the world.
3. Evergreen trees of hardwood with dense canopy are _______.
a) Mahogany and Ebony
b) Laurel and Acacia
c) Chir and Pine
d) Prickly pear and Cactus
a) Mahogany and Ebony
4. Temperate grasslands are known as _______ in Argentina and Uruguay.
5. _______ is the leading producer of sugarcane in South America.
6. South America is known as _______ continent.